Philip T. Morrissey, age 87, a Roman Catholic Priest with
the Diocese of Bridgeport, died December 19, 2008 at Kent Hospital, Warwick,
Rhode Island. Rev. Morrissey was born in New Haven, son of the late Geoffrey F.
and Sarah (Reynolds) Morrissey. Father Morrissey was appointed Pastor Emeritus
of the Church of the Assumption in Westport in 1993. In retirement, he assisted
at St. Catherine of Siena Parish in Warwick. Fr. Morrissey graduated from St.
Thomas Seminary in Bloomfield, and St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore, MD. He was
ordained on June 29, 1946 in St. Joseph Cathedral, Hartford, by the Most Rev.
Henry J. O'Brien D.D., Archbishop of Hartford. He was Associate Pastor of St.
Mary Church in Bethel, from 1946-1950, Blessed Sacrament Church in Bridgeport,
from 1950-1954, St. John Church in Darien, from 1954-1958, and St. Augustine
Cathedral in Bridgeport, from 1958-1960. He served as Chaplain of St. Vincent's
Hospital in Bridgeport from 1960-1962, Associate of St. John Church in Stamford
in 1963, and as Administrator of Sacred Heart Church in Bridgeport from
1963-1965. In 1966, Fr. Morrissey was appointed Pastor of Our Lady of Good
Counsel Church in Bridgeport and served until 1967 when he became Pastor St.
Lawrence Church in Huntington until 1974. He served as Pastor of the Church of
The Assumption in Westport from 1974 until 1993 when he retired as Pastor
Emeritus. He was the beloved brother of Regina M. O'Hara of Warwick, RI, and
the late Sr. M. Chrysostom, SSJ of Chambray, Rev. Francis S. Morrissey, Pastor
Emeritus, St. Mary Church, Norwich, CT, Geoffrey B. Morrissey and Mary G.
Morrissey; and loving uncle of M. Patrice O'Hara of Biddeford, ME and the late
Thomas R. O'Hara. A month's mind Memorial Mass will be celebrated on Monday,
January 19th at 12 noon, at Assumption Church, 98 Riverside Ave., Westport, the
Rev. Robert J. Crofut, Pastor of St. Thomas the Apostle church, East Norwalk
will be the homilist. Priests of the Diocese, parishioners and all are welcome
to the mass which will be followed by a reception in the Fr. McGrath Hall.
Published in the Connecticut Post on 1/16/2009.
Press the "BACK" button to return to the previous page